»  View All Bands

TravisBeanGuitars.com
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
© 2001 - 2024

Rattlesnake Cable Company - High Quality Instrument Cables - Made in Montana
Forum :: General Discussion

Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ?

Return to forum index
 Author  Message

PostPosted: 12/03/2008 at 9:14 PM    Post subject: The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

-Post removed by request of the author-

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

BoulderBean

PostPosted: 12/04/2008 at 9:15 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

All my reading about Beans backs up what Vincent has written. The first Bean Artist was #11. The database not only reports a #1 (and a #11), but also a #6. Neither #1 nor #6 have any photos associated with the database entry. I suppose it's possible that these were prototypes and #11 signified the first "factory" guitar, but I agree it would be nice to see photos and full details. I'm a little skeptical of those serial numbers.

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 12/04/2008 at 9:43 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

This was originally submitted in 6/2001 by Bill Kaman. Original description for this guitar:

"Preproduction Artist, 1973"

I really wish we had photos as well. Weighted control cavity is very interesting. This possibly is the first prototype of the classic artist style after Travis' initial #0 prototype (Melody Maker style) and included Marc's input on body shape.

Thanks!
admin

View Member Profile

BoulderBean

PostPosted: 12/04/2008 at 9:52 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Ahh that makes sense. So #6 could be a "pre-factory" prototype as well. That suggests that there were at least 6 prototypes.

View Member Profile

GregBailey

PostPosted: 12/04/2008 at 10:10 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

HI!!!

Admin wrote, "I really wish we had photos as well. Weighted control cavity is very interesting. This possibly is the first prototype of the classic artist style after Travis' initial #0 prototype (Melody Maker style) and included Marc's input on body shape."

With that said, it brings me back to a picture I posted awhile back, here it is again.

http://www.baileycustomguitar.com/tb_what.html

A customer of mine sent me this picture years ago. I don't remember why he sent it to me, but the pack rat that I am, kept it, now I want to know what it is! Is it some prototype? I know it's not the Artist in question or any other Artist for that matter. It looks like the pickup holes are similar to the 500 pickups. I wish I had more pix, but this is it.

Greg

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 12/04/2008 at 10:20 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Greg

Yeah... that's guitar is a weird one for sure. Couple of points...

1. The neck doesn't look like it's going through the body. Or is there something obstructing the view through the pickup slots? Hard to tell in that photo. That would seem very NOT bean like to have a bolt on neck.

2. Guitar body almost has the same shape as the first TB500s but not quite.

I wonder if this is a 'hack' job of a Bean that was done by someone later? I'll dig around.

Thanks for posting that!
admin

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

rlrlrl

PostPosted: 12/04/2008 at 11:43 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Isn't that body just a Les Paul Special double cutaway style?

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 12/04/2008 at 1:48 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

The horns sure look like it. Looking at the placement of the neck pickup in this photo.. it seems like gap between the front of the body to the neck pickup is more than in Greg's photo.

http://www.birdlandmusic......ct_image.php?imageid=5580

admin

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 12/04/2008 at 2:02 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Greg

Got a response from one TBG employee about that guitar....

"I think this is a hack job. We never made a neck fit that way, made a pickguard like that or had switches laid out like that."

HTH
admin

View Member Profile

Chris Hall

PostPosted: 12/04/2008 at 5:15 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

I swear I remember reading somewhere that the reason why all of the TB guitars and basses started at #11 was to that there was room for up to 10 prototypes.

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 12/04/2008 at 7:46 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

View Member Profile

Chris Hall

PostPosted: 12/05/2008 at 12:23 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Kaman owned my TB4000 Wedge before I did. He told me that he wet sanded it to try and get some of the fuzzy foam from the case out of the finish and did so because he didn't repaint it, since he'd rather have the original finish on it. Up close, my wedge looks pretty crappy (because of all the tiny little blue pieces of foam that "melted" in to the paint), so I'm really surprised he didn't have it repainted.

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 12/05/2008 at 12:59 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

View Member Profile

Chris Hall

PostPosted: 12/05/2008 at 2:20 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Your "easily removed" comment regarding the foam intrigues me. What have you used to remove the embedded foam particles?

I agree that Kaman may not have "respected" his collection of Travis Beans as much as we once may have thought. I've been told that the reason he sold his collection off was because he got mad at Travis after he had given him a deposit for the first new TB500 (the ones made in 2000) which Travis supposedly sold to someone else, angering Kaman to the point where he sold his TB collection because he no longer liked / respected Travis. Crazy.

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 12/05/2008 at 7:37 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

I think it would be great if you could share how you solved the problem of safely removing the foam stuck on the bodies and necks.

admin

View Member Profile

Obie

PostPosted: 12/06/2008 at 8:41 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Since Bill Kaman's name came up I figured I would throw these into the mix. These are from my brother's stuff. The envelope was labeled "Bill Kaman - Travis Bean Guitar and Bass Collection". I don't know if he shot the photos or if they were sent to him.

http://img372.imageshack......img372/9844/kaman4rg3.jpg
http://img372.imageshack......img372/7686/kaman3hu5.jpg
http://img372.imageshack......img372/1345/kaman2aq4.jpg
http://img372.imageshack......img372/5851/kaman1gq0.jpg

Kurt

View Member Profile

peggyfoster

PostPosted: 12/06/2008 at 10:58 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Thank you for sharing Kaman's splendid photos with us, Kurt.

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 12/07/2008 at 12:11 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

View Member Profile

sam1716

PostPosted: 12/07/2008 at 7:11 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

I'm sure I'm way behind, but I'd never seen that shape of the US Artist before. Wow! I'd also never seen that V. Very cool!

Thanks for sharing those photos. Hard to imagine that all of those were marred in one way or another.

View Member Profile

Grant

PostPosted: 12/07/2008 at 7:17 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Thank you for thes pictures Obie. Wow, this V model is the most beautiful Bean I've seen so far... does anyone know if this is still owned by Kaman?

View Member Profile

rlrlrl

PostPosted: 12/07/2008 at 8:48 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

;) I think the Map and V guitars are not original, either carved out bodies or replaced bodies. I agree with Vincent that one of the coolest things in there is the black 500 with the early body shape and white pickguard. If there's any Bean that I covet, it's one of these earliest 500s.

View Member Profile

seawolfofsaturn

PostPosted: 12/07/2008 at 10:53 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

The TB-500 database has a similar entry. #6 is listed with no details, yet #11 & #12 were built for Jerry Garcia. Did Garcia have any input on, or perhaps suggest the 500 concept ? There is a red 1st version TB-500 on the wall in the NAMM show pics that's not yet accounted for in the database. Any evidence there were #1- #10 prototypes built for the TB-500 ? Obe, thanks again for the photos & documents.

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 12/07/2008 at 10:58 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Vincent Gallo
Thanks from me as well. For the record the Artist on the floor far right was Kaman's only real prototype / early serial #. 11-20 I think it was. Since it has large font TRAVIS BEAN engraved in the pickups it cannot be the one on the database which claims to have unmarked pickups. Notice the knobs as well as those are what were used from the very beginning on every guitar. (Also different from serial #1's claim)

I think this might be Donald B's old TB1000A #11, which he sold to Kaman in 1994. Kurt, any dates with these photos?
http://www.travisbeanguit.....ction/database.detail.htm

The grain pattern looks similar, its hard to tell. It has the large font on the pickups as well, but different knobs in the database photos.

Vincent Gallo
The two Wedges are very very nice. I wonder if they are original finished.

I wonder if the first white one with coil taps/phase switches is TB3000 #13. If so, that had a preamp in it as well. Wired originally from the shop by Frank K, and was Charlie P's. #13 was originally white from the shop. Also had a ebony finger board as well extra-large inlays.
http://www.travisbeanguit.....ction/database.detail.htm

rlrlrl
;) I think the Map and V guitars are not original, either carved out bodies or replaced bodies.

These are definitely later replaced bodies. I know this has sparked conversation, emails and threads in the past, but after speaking with various TBG employees, these were never made in the shop originally.

Thanks!
admin

View Member Profile

Chris Hall

PostPosted: 12/07/2008 at 4:18 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Ha, that's my TB4000 hanging up next to the two TB3000 guitars.

Funny to see a pic of my bass in another persons house.

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 12/07/2008 at 6:05 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

View Member Profile

Chris Hall

PostPosted: 12/08/2008 at 5:37 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Yeah, my TB4000 is very yellowed. Most of the pics I took of it (which are in the database / photo gallery) were taken about 10 years ago with a digital camera. Digital cameras weren't as great then as they are now, so most of the pics of my bass make it look like it's pure white. This is the only pic I have that shows the true color of it:

http://a697.ac-images.mys.....1406e5fdac73148364e38.jpg

Yellowed with age, and full of foam particles. Looks fine from about 5 feet away though.

View Member Profile

wiggle

PostPosted: 12/08/2008 at 9:45 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Chris Hall said:
"I've been told that the reason he sold his collection off was because
he got mad at Travis after he had given him a deposit for the first new
TB500 (the ones made in 2000) which Travis supposedly sold to someone
else, angering Kaman to the point where he sold his TB collection because
he no longer liked / respected Travis."

This I heard first hand from Bill Kaman, so it must be true.

As for the 500 #16, there is a big gash in it, which has been retouched
(possibly by Kaman,) as the raw wood has been painted:
http://www.unsound.com/GT.....B500_16/TB500_16_body.jpg
However I doubt it is a refin, as other dings are intact, such as these:
http://www.unsound.com/GTR/TB500_16/500wood.jpg

As for the history of the Guitar, I have heard it was made
for Glenn Sciurba, from whom it was stolen, then
eventually went Kaman's way. He's kind of the Getty Museum
of TBs, if you know what I mean.

What's nice about the early 500s is that their necks are not
Imron coated, and have the bare aluminum exposed.

Oh, and thank you Obie, for your wonderful contributions
to the community, and thanks to our admin for bringing us
all together! (Have you bought him a beer yet?)

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 12/08/2008 at 10:56 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

View Member Profile

BoulderBean

PostPosted: 12/08/2008 at 11:18 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

So many guitars....so little time. Fabulous photos Obie! Thanks.

I count 31 Beans in the (former) Kaman collection. Easily $150 -$200K worth of instruments in a single photo and probably more.

The story about Kaman's rationale for dumping his Bean collection seems incomplete. The jilted lover story about the new guitars seems a rather small insult to cause someone to sell off their entire collection. Maybe when you have that much money, selling a guitar collection just isn't a big deal. Who knows.

Someone active on this forum once informed us that he would incinerate his Bean collection on his own funeral pyre as part of his last rites, but it might have been hyperbole. That fire would make wet sanding and re-finishing seem rather minor....

It's nice Kaman sold off his Beans so that others, who might actually play them, could get their hands on them.

View Member Profile

Obie

PostPosted: 12/08/2008 at 11:49 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

The Kaman photos are not dated. They are 8x12 printsand I don't know if my brother actually shot the photos or was given the prints. I still haven't completely gone through my brothers photos. Just to give you an idea, think of a medium sized hardsided suitcase, filled with photo envelopes, stacked on end like files, the kind that hold the prints and negatives. I've got two suitcases like that. Luckily it's pretty much in chronological order.

Wiggle, according to the notebook, your TB500 #16 did originally go to Glen Sciurba. In the notebook it shows "Williard" next to #16, that was apparently an in-house nick name for Sciurba.

http://img409.imageshack......9/3363/tb500notes1rw6.jpg

Kurt

View Member Profile

wiggle

PostPosted: 12/08/2008 at 12:20 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Vincent Gallo said:
"Looking closely at your pictures of the dings I noticed white paint under the black.
I have never ever never ever seen a painted Bean with a contrasting color base coat.
I would bet big bucks it is a refin"

Could be. pbeekman thinks it might be original, as he has seen white undercoats before.
Any ideas, pb?

Early prototype 500s have much more body mass - I would assume this would give
the guitars more bottom end. VG, have you compared your 500s?

View Member Profile

awkwardsilence

PostPosted: 12/08/2008 at 12:36 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Once again, great photos Obie, thanks for sharing them.

As I own an ex-Kaman Bean it's even more interesting to see these shots and to read various folks comments about Bill Kaman.
My guitar isn't included in those photos (it's a lefty TB1000S, so easy to spot) but I'm pleased to say it's all original and in no way messed with - retaining a couple of light dings on the front and some buckle wear on the back. I only use it for home playing so the condition is exactly as when I bought it.

I had no idea that Kaman had a number of his Bean collection refinished or otherwise tampered with. Nothing beats an honest all original guitar, no matter what the condition.
I also didn't know of the reasons why he parted with his collection; all interesting reading.

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 12/08/2008 at 4:56 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

View Member Profile

awkwardsilence

PostPosted: 12/09/2008 at 2:09 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Vincent, thanks for the kind words about my guitar. It is indeed a very nice original example (also with original case). As far as I know Kaman acquired this one from Mac Yasuda, another well-known collector. I'd really like to know who it was built for new.
I'll have to post some more detailed and better quality photos of it in the database soon...

View Member Profile

peggyfoster

PostPosted: 12/29/2008 at 2:33 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

I can confirm that Glen Sciurba's nickname was Willard. Travis gave him that nickname... there was a horror movie named "Willard" and Travis thought that Glen resembled one of the characters.

Peggy

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 12/29/2008 at 9:17 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 12/30/2008 at 10:41 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

I believe Glenn recorded on a Bad Finger album and toured to promote that album, I could be mistaken. He also played with Commander Cody for a stint, but these were days after TBG.

He was a the man that delivered the first Beans to the Stones in New York, and as the story goes, was offered a job with Rolling Stones shortly after.

admin

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 12/30/2008 at 11:28 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 12/30/2008 at 11:47 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Yep, the band with Mitch was more of a rotating lineup of musicians that jammed towards the end of TBG and continued for a bit afterwards.

The band that Travis was in was called Flyer and consisted of Travis (drums), Jack Jimmy (bass), Al Austin (singer/guitar) and Glenn(guitar). That band began to go their separate ways, but pieces of that band and Mitch's band would *merge* to play on a regular basis at Travis' place, usually on the weekends.

Good stuff!

admin

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 12/30/2008 at 7:01 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 12/30/2008 at 8:20 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

That sounds very interesting. If everything works out and if I'm able, I would love to be involved.

admin

View Member Profile

robb

PostPosted: 01/05/2009 at 4:39 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Hi will first respond to the gentleman who said i was rude. He was asking $5900 for a chopped up demo bean which is fine. I emailed him stating that if he wanted to sell to me I would pay 1/2 price $3000 for 1/2 a guitar...trying to be funny yet still (in my humble opinion) offering more than I wanted to pay. He then responed "since I was only willing to pay 1/2 i was half a man". Later he cut his price in half. I have no comment and only wish to clear my name. I am no longer interested in his guitar. Cool item!
I will respond to the many emails about Travis Bean #1 in a separate email.

View Member Profile

robb

PostPosted: 01/05/2009 at 5:11 PM    Post subject: TRAVIS BEAN ARTIST #1 Serial number 1 link

I own TB Artist #1 which is the 2nd artist ever made. The first one was a handmade prototype melody maker shape. Nothing like the Artist they ended up sending to production. The 2nd one made by hand is the closest to the production run Artists and that is mine with the serial number 1. It has lead weights in the back section that house the pots and Fender Humbucker pickups that sound amazing. I will not take apart to see why. The body is one piece Koa and very thin 1" to be exact. There is a string through piece on the headstock with the brass nut. Gibson factory speed knobs. The pick guard was was sunk into the body so it is flush with the body finish...very cool and in my opinion better than the ones glued on top. I will post pictures at some point if I am told how. I own about 5 TB's (one is Magnolia) Out of my whole collection Travis Beans are my favorite and for 20 years my go to guitar. I traded in a 68 LP gold top in the late 70's for my current player Bean (I know should have bought the Bean and Kept the Les Paul as well)...I am sure I am not the only guitar player who made mistakes like that...but glad I got the Bean and never looked back...

I have spoken to a gentleman (should have kept his name) who worked in the TB factory and sold me a TB artist body I have. He remembered this guitar.
SN #'s 11-20 were limited production guitars.
Please see page 868 in the Blue Book of Electric Guitars for this history.

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 01/05/2009 at 5:58 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Robb. Thank you very much for posting those photos!

admin

View Member Profile

Ezra

PostPosted: 01/05/2009 at 6:33 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

Funny Coincidence, i was just uploading some pics I found years ago, the first one I uploaded to the gallery was the prototype.

Its in the gallery under "Other Misc"

Check out the neck joint

View Member Profile

robb

PostPosted: 01/05/2009 at 6:40 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

To the gentleman or woman who just listed #0
Please email me at robsb@verizon.net
I listed #1

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 01/05/2009 at 9:19 PM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

View Member Profile

metal head

PostPosted: 02/01/2009 at 11:18 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

My Artist is 1046.

View Member Profile

metal head

PostPosted: 02/01/2009 at 11:21 AM    Post subject: RE:The first Bean Artist serial #11 ? ? ? ? link

DOH!

I realise now that you mean the LAST digits.

SOZ!

:-)

View Member Profile

Save Up to $75 Instantly at MusiciansFriend.com
Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Return to forum index