»  View All Bands

TravisBeanGuitars.com
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
© 2001 - 2024

Rattlesnake Cable Company - High Quality Instrument Cables - Made in Montana
Forum :: General Discussion

Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

TB 1000S #35 aluminum nut ? Build date ?

Return to forum index
 Author  Message
toby2

PostPosted: 06/13/2008 at 7:24 PM    Post subject: TB 1000S #35 aluminum nut ? Build date ? link

Hi
I just got an old TB1000S that has an aluminum nut . Does anyone know if they
did this on the early guitars ? The nut is well cut but it is not flush with the headstock
so it may be a replacement . The pots read 137 7XX which I am thinking is 67 CTS as
a 77 would have a 4 digit code after the 137 . The neck is stamped 35 on the headstock
and under the neck pickup but there are no other date indications . Any idea when
this was made . Looks to be a Koa small eared body .

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

admin

PostPosted: 06/16/2008 at 9:09 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000S #35 aluminum nut ? Build date ? link

Hello toby2

#35 would be an early run guitar. 1975 would be my guess.

Regarding the aluminum nut, I asked this question to a former employee of the metal shop and he does remember aluminum nuts being made, but does not recall if the nuts were experimentation or if someone requested it. So it is possible that this could be a original nut.

How about adding the guitar to the database registry and uploading some photos? If I have a good photo of the nut, I'll be able to pass it on to see if I can get some more information. Also a shot of the electronics cavity would be great.

Thanks!
admin

View Member Profile

toby2

PostPosted: 06/16/2008 at 6:52 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000S #35 aluminum nut ? Build date ? link

Hi
I will try to post some photos of it this week . The other odd thing is that the string
block on the back of the guitar is stamped - Made In USA .
Thank you for the information !

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 06/16/2008 at 6:57 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000S #35 aluminum nut ? Build date ? link

Very interesting. Yes.. let's see some photos.. the more the better!

Thanks!
admin

View Member Profile

toby2

PostPosted: 06/26/2008 at 7:07 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000S #35 aluminum nut ? Build date ? link

Hi
I just posted some photos ( guess it will take a bit of time before they are online ) of #35 .

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 06/26/2008 at 9:40 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000S #35 aluminum nut ? Build date ? link

Hello Toby2

Thanks for posting those photos. Interesting that TB2000 #33 looks to have some kind of plated nut (you can see the brass underneath). I wonder if yours is similar.

I'll ask a few people and get back to you.

Thanks!
admin

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

TMan1

PostPosted: 07/26/2008 at 5:13 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000S #35 aluminum nut ? Build date ? link

Let me see if I can clear this up... Early nuts were Bone, then aluminium(during the first year). Later on they use brass and then a combo of brass & bone. Pots; Early 1st year guitars had pots that were bought in surplus from a place that was around the corner on San Fernando Rd. called Apex. Dates codes could be all over the place in `75 & `76. Apex was five minutes down Sheldon and make a right onto San Fernando and you were there. they are still in business and specialize in surplus electronic parts. I've bought lots of old tubes, vintage caps and resistors from them. They also have a nice supply of wire and used lectronic test equipment.

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 07/27/2008 at 4:41 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000S #35 aluminum nut ? Build date ? link

Hello TMan1

This has been such an interesting mystery. I've talked to several original folks at TBG about this. All have said the exact same thing.. that very few, approximately 2-5 guitars/basses were made with aluminum nuts, and all of these were used as test subjects. They also mentioned their dislike to aluminum nuts, stating that it 'kinked' too much, and that brass was a superior winner over aluminum and bone nuts for tone and functionality.

2 weeks ago I held TB1000A #28 and it too had a aluminum nut? The owner stated that everything was original... and he picked it up from the shop. This would coincide with your 1st year statement. I wish we could get some more photos and entries of Standards and Artists that are pre-50 in serial number.

So not sure what to make of all of this. Could memory be this fuzzy and fuzzy across multiple people at TBG? Could there be more than the 2-5 instruments made with aluminum nuts.. yet still be a small enough run to call it 'very few', say less than 50? Could these be brass replacements after they left the shop in some instances?

I'll keep digging.
admin

View Member Profile

TMan1

PostPosted: 07/27/2008 at 8:18 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000S #35 aluminum nut ? Build date ? link

I think there's more than 2-5. Maybe like 15-20. I would also suggest that as the aluminium nuts got complaints that either brass or bone were sent out as replacements. I know on mine, #011 I had to get Mark to send me a new set of Schallers as the originals ones started slipping after about 18 months(of course the guitar got used 5-6 hours a day at least..).
Just looking at my original early 1975 brochures, it says, and I quote: "Handmade Reynolds 6061-T6 aluminum nut".

View Member Profile

Save Up to $75 Instantly at MusiciansFriend.com
Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Return to forum index