Rattlesnake Cable Company - High Quality Instrument Cables - Made in Montana
Forum :: Beans For Sale

Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

TB1000S #999 on eBay

Return to forum index
 Author  Message
admin

PostPosted: 12/19/2007 at 7:48 AM    Post subject: TB1000S #999 on eBay link

TB1000S #999 on eBay, finish is stripped.

No reserve, starting bid at $1990.00, BIN at $3,299.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Travi.....ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!
admin

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

alec

PostPosted: 12/19/2007 at 8:36 AM    Post subject: RE:TB1000S #999 on eBay link

wow, the wood is really interesting on this one. like, two different halves joined together.

guitarcharlie

PostPosted: 12/19/2007 at 8:46 AM    Post subject: RE:TB1000S #999 on eBay link

I would say its a Bean Bonanza! 5 on ebay right now....

By the way this seller did a good job with the photos. Its helpful to see the closeups with good lighting, control cavity shot, sharp photos, and pickup readings too! A buyer won't be unpleasantly surprised on this one. Other sellers (and buyers) would benefit from a similar effort.

Cool serial number!

View Member Profile

TBGURU

PostPosted: 12/19/2007 at 1:18 PM    Post subject: RE:TB1000S #999 on eBay link

Ooh, aah, pretty figured koa. Where is gallo's buddy who bought his figured tb for 7k? Just think, you could buy this guitar from mexico, then you could refinish it red the way it was in the first place. It just goes to show what travis thought about flamey figured wood, he covered it up with paint.

guitarcharlie

PostPosted: 12/19/2007 at 2:57 PM    Post subject: RE:TB1000S #999 on eBay link

I bet it was painted because of the mismatch between the 2 halves. I'm sure they sorted wood at the factory to get as many good looking matches as possible...and then they had some left over pieces that did not look good together. This guitar matches up 2 completely different pieces of wood, one quarter sawn and the other flat sawn. By woodworking standards, that is considered "paint grade".

View Member Profile

TBGURU

PostPosted: 12/19/2007 at 5:46 PM    Post subject: RE:TB1000S #999 on eBay link

You can see by the shade of the control cavity it was painted red. No one but a couple of nuts gives a shit about figure or paint color. And by a couple of nuts you all know who I mean. Yes I may be a nut.

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 12/19/2007 at 7:52 PM    Post subject: RE:TB1000S #999 on eBay link

I bet it was painted because someone wanted a red one. Travis bean guitars are not matched, meaning that a slab is not ripped and flipped open to reveal two very similar (figure/ grain) pieces. The slabs which were bought were under 2 in thick when they got to the shop. Koa is seldom considered "paint grade". The figure in koa lumber has little to do with milling and more to do with stress and tension on the tree as it grew. Unlike wood where quartersawing will expose chopped rays in the wood etc.. Not to mention that unless you see the ends of a given slab of wood you cannot tell which way it was oriented when milled. I can show you countless figured hardwoods which are not at all quartersawn. I mill massive trees into giant slabs about 1 3/4 in. thick and sometimes find beautiful figure throughout, usually I wind up with only one truly quartersawn slab per log. (because of how I mill) That quartersawn piece must then be ripped down the center when stacking to cure/ dry. If you do not rip this quartersawn slab you wind up with cupping in either direction. The heartwood in the center of a quartersawn slab is very unstable. I have very figured beans of koa which are far from quartered. Part of milling wood is the excitement of the unknown figure popping up when you least expect it. Figure not in the quartersawn slab.

Save Up to $75 Instantly at MusiciansFriend.com
Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Return to forum index