© 2001 - 2024

Rattlesnake Cable Company - High Quality Instrument Cables - Made in Montana
Forum :: Beans For Sale

Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN

Return to forum index
 Author  Message
TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/13/2007 at 2:10 PM    Post subject: TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Non-original case.

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

admin

PostPosted: 11/13/2007 at 2:17 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAVI.....ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow.. great lookin'
admin

View Member Profile

admin

PostPosted: 11/13/2007 at 2:20 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

If anyone gets the serial # on this, could you email me or post it here.

Thanks!
admin

View Member Profile

Greg Bailey

PostPosted: 11/14/2007 at 10:20 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! $7K for an Artist?????? AND IT SOLD!! That's a lot, but man, what a great looking guitar, eh??

Greg

admin

PostPosted: 11/14/2007 at 10:33 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Yeah, the flame on the koa was really impressive.

admin

View Member Profile

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/14/2007 at 11:59 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

hey greg, i've got a tb1000a that you made with a very flamey leftover body. it is a very nice piece. i think it was your first one? anyway that was a lot for an artist. same guy bought it as did the mismatched tb1000s we saw go for $3400 last week. rock on.

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

BoulderBean

PostPosted: 11/14/2007 at 12:16 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

The seller surely must be our amigo Vincent Gallo. The emphasis on painted models and wedges are a giveaway. That's a gorgeous koa Artist he sold - one of the nicer ones I've seen for sale in a while. I imagine that both buyer and seller are happy campers. It is getting expensive to join the Bean club!

View Member Profile

guitarcharlie

PostPosted: 11/14/2007 at 12:23 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I don't know... not very good photos...To my eyes it looks like the flame is only on one side (top). The photo just looking at the front doesn't really show much flame. For the sake of the buyer, I hope it is as nice as the "description". I can't believe the seller wouldn't include the original case for that price, and I bet the knobs are not original either.

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 11/14/2007 at 11:57 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

-Post removed by request of the author-

View Member Profile

guitarcharlie

PostPosted: 11/15/2007 at 9:28 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

VG... I just was surprised that an original case was not included. When you are spending that kind of money for a collectible guitar, having the original case that came with a guitar is important. Obviously it was made clear in the listing that the original case was not included, but I have a feeling that guitar came with an original case when you got it. If I am wrong, I apologize. Now as far as the photos are concerned, that is good news that the guitar looks better in real life. I am surprised that a guy with your visual skills would not take better photos that really show the guitar, not exagerate, just show it as it is. About the knobs, I figured they were in the original case...sort of a dark suspicious lame joke...see apology above.

View Member Profile

Mr Bean

PostPosted: 11/16/2007 at 8:41 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

The market for overpriced beans is a line consisting of three people. Once these three get bored with their obsession (or go broke) priced will fall and return to 1 -3k. I would advise all to wait to buy, or to sell em if you got em and buy them back for 1K

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/16/2007 at 2:07 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

(Mr bean) Got any $1000 beans for sale? I'll give you $1100 for each and every one you have !

casebook

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 12:32 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Well the fact is that Kaman owned a great number of Beans, Id even bet more than all of you guys combined. That being said, these inflated prices are getting a bit silly and I think its true that 5 guys or so are driving up the prices and when you get bored, thats it. Also i know of many many people that have played these for years and bought them for less than 1000.00 that wont come off of them making the prices higher and higher. I just cant figure why everyone suddenly wants to be in the club and not only in it, but the one with the most guitars?

Im sure all are going to start firing, I used to work for...i always loved...then why did you wait until the market got so insane to get your hands in it? If youve loved them for years, why wait until now?

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 1:15 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Speculating about speculating? It's one thing to buy guitars speculating on what the future might bring. It is another thing to speculate about the speculators, totally unproductive ( just jacking off) . I'll spell it out for the haters. What makes more sense, a mid seventies telecaster ( one of thousands just like it ) for $3500.00 or a Bean for $3500.00. The travis bean guitars represent both function and artistic form. A travis bean is a tool and an art object. This is the age of the $150,000.00 1960s muscle car. When new, a 1969 z28 camaro cost about 4 or 5 times as much as a travis bean cost new in 1975. The travis bean has tripled in price, the camaro has multiplied 10, 20, 35 times from its original sticker price. ( not to mention the camaro may be rebuilt and be far from its original self ) Try buying a late 50s les paul for less than 35 or 40 times its original price. Take into consideration the shrinking value of the dollar and you see that travis beans are not getting more expensive they just cost more dollars. $6900.00 does seem like a lot of wampum for a later artist considering I bought my first wedge for less. The dude who bought that $ 6900 artist also bought that $3400 refinish last week ( neither had ORIGINAL CASE ) he's cost averaging his way ( albeit a bit upside down at the moment ) to Beandom.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 1:34 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Anyone want to be the first to bring back the $1000 bean? Come on, be a hero. I'll give you $1100 all day long for your $1000 beans, that's ten percent more than you think they are worth. Spending $ 3,500,000,000.00 a week in Iraqistan seems like a waste, makes a $4000.00 bean look like a deal. Every day more and more bean-heads are converted, many may never even handle a real bean. Wait until the clowns buying and selling $100.000.00 les pauls start buying up beans, then you'll see the prices rocket. You can never be too rich, you can never be too handsome, you can never have too many travis beans.

Greg Bailey

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 2:58 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Hey All,

If I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times.

"An item, ANY item, is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for"

Greg

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 3:13 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

View Member Profile

tbguru

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 3:25 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

he who dies with the most toys wins

GG

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 5:00 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I'm confident that 25 years ago, there were a handful of Gibson & Fender enthusiasts making the same complaints that some are making here. The fact of the matter is that now that some of these guitars are breaking the 6-7K mark, there is no turning back. That does not mean that deals can't be found. You just have to work like mad to find them. I just literally dug Artist 1362 out of a closet in Austin TX 2 weeks ago for a fraction of these prices. Granted the paint is pretty rough, but it is original down to the screws. All 5 of my Beans came by working at it, and none came from ebay, and it's likely that I'll never get one from ebay.

Anyone with 4 grand can walk into Guitar Center and walk out with a Les Paul. Can anyone here really tell me what is special about that? It's almost so unspectacular that in a way it cheapens having a vintage one. I recently sold my Les Paul Juniors (57 & 60) and my Teles (69 thinline & 73) because they are a dime a dozen. Not hard to find at all, and in many cases the aged reissues are almost as nice as the originals $4000 can get you an amazing Bean from almost any source. Given the rarity and craftsmanship, not mention the tone of a Bean $4000 is a ******* steal. And they will NEVER be reissued.

GG

View Member Profile

Kevin

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 5:02 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Just to throw in a bit, a dead mint 57 Les paul(original; everything) just sold in town for 650.000.00. wow. Ive never heard of a les paul going for that, but it happened. Thats just wild.

Vincent, that was a very pretty Artist by the way.

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 5:09 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

View Member Profile

GG

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 5:25 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Original cases are important, especially considering how many Beans seem to be without them and no one seems to know the manufacturer or any info on them. Everyone who has a Bean missing it's case is a liar if they say they wouldn't prefer to have the original. If someone can prove that an individual here misappropraited a case, should take it up privately if there is a specfic issue at hand.

By the way I need 2 cases - anyone out there with extras :)

GG

View Member Profile

BoulderBean

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 7:13 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I don't give a crap about original cases. My Bean was imperfect when got it and I've modded it here and there (new nut and strap locks) to make it play better. I completely understand why our compadre Vincent (and others) want original cases, but honestly not everyone here is into the "Bean as a collectors item" to the same degree.

It is amusing to read the hostility (perhaps even jealousy) in some of the posts, but me thinks Mr. Gallo doth protest a bit too much. He has been known to rise to the bait and make a testy post on occasion. Accusing others of being "dark, bitter, and judgmental" smells a wee bit of what Dr. Freud called "a projection". I do like that VG sticks up for himself and is unafraid of hiding behind an avatar. He clearly has cojones. It's also hard to argue with his taste in guitars. That was a damn fine koa Artist he sold.

I must concur that Beans are undervalued. Really these are some of the finest guitars ever produced and there are but a few thousand of them in existence. They have managed to stay off of the vintage collector radar screen for 30 years, but that time is over. IMHO these guitars are like Van Gogh's - not properly appreciated when they were in production. Someday, perhaps in the not to distant future, they will be regularly selling for 5 figures and maybe even 6. $3500 for any Bean is a good deal. $7K for a spectacular Bean is a good deal. $350K for a Bean Jerry Garcia played live ONCE..........not such a good deal.

Peace.

View Member Profile

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/17/2007 at 10:08 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Hey VG, I had your back on that whole case thing. That was before I knew that Vincent Gallo was more than just your screen-name. I mean, now that I know you are THE Vincent Gallo, I have got to say that you rank in the top five Stern Show appearances of all time. Thousands of guests over thirty years and you were the ******* best ! The entertainment level that day has gone virtually unchallenged since. Millions of Stern fans will never forget that day. You are the barometer by which all Stern guests are judged. The term " radio- gold" was coined that day. Roger Ebert is only alive today because you lifted the cancer curse you put on him, then again maybe he's hanging on by a thread because of the curse you put on him. Please get over to sirius and do us all a favor! Stern Show listeners, hail and celebrate you.

Mr Bean

PostPosted: 11/18/2007 at 1:47 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

TB Guru or Rucklick, whatever your name is, you are missing the whole point. I said sell them if you got them while prices are inflated. Buy them back when nobody gives a shit about them again which will be soon and they will be 1000. The market, inflation etc will never be there for beans as apart from the couple of hundred people that visit this site, no one else cares for them or about them.
Right now it is 3 people, including Gallo. The market will drop and anyone that cares to disagree, please remember where this chain is and let's converse in three years. Gibsons, Fenders, etc continue to draw thousands of fans as they are out there and the companies are alive and well and marketing Nothing, I mean nothing will keep the tb value going except people that think they are a cool memory of the 70's.
IF "collectors" continue to rob the few preserved ones for parts for their own gain, they will ultimately damage the value of all of them.

GG

PostPosted: 11/18/2007 at 2:38 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I believe your logic is flawed. If there are only 3 people here driving prices up, that means that only those 3 are buying most or all of the Beans. Simply not the case - look at the names of recent ebay winners - none of the assumed "3". Look at the over 1400 visits to the cursed 894 standard on ebay that just ended. Granted it did not sell at 3K, but no way that only a handful of interested people looked at this listing a few hundred times each. It didn't sell because it isn't very pretty, it's koa, and is missing the case and the tuners. It'll sell, but not for as low as a grand. Talk to dealers who know, never seen one with a dealer in the past year for less than $3300. Look at the prices in the database over the past year - pretty consistent and rising over time. Beans are just not going back to the $1000 level ever again not even close.

GG

View Member Profile

Mr Bean

PostPosted: 11/18/2007 at 5:30 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

your logic is flawed. it is only the three that will pay those prices. If 1400 people hit it and it did not sell at 3300, I am right. Also, a dealer has to sell for 3K which means that they are paying 1500 for it.

GG

PostPosted: 11/18/2007 at 5:39 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I guess you didn't read my post that closely. Whatever. If you're hoping to find Beans for a grand ever again, I hope you aren't holding your breath.

GG

View Member Profile

Mr Bean

PostPosted: 11/18/2007 at 5:50 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I am not looking to buy any more, I have 2. My point is that prices will not continue to increase. As the market is so small, you can actually plot on a graph how many buyers there are at a given price. These will bottom out. Prices on 65 strats have dopped 8K already this year and will continue to drop and that is with the huge market that a fender enjoys.
Trust me, only 3 people are paying these prices and it will be over.

GG

PostPosted: 11/18/2007 at 6:11 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Guess my first post on the subject missed it's point as well. 65 strats have dropped in price because supply FAR outweighs demand, due in no small part to Fender producing aged relics that are in many cases nicer that the overpriced originals.

The fact that Beans will never be reissued, and there is an obvious demand greater than supply means that prices will sustain, not revert to prices that have not been seen in half a decade or more. As availability dries up and sites such as this one not only build the legend, but track the values - then the curiosity seeking collector who is without a Bean will pay even higher prices to join the club.

GG

View Member Profile

Mr Bean

PostPosted: 11/18/2007 at 8:08 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Wrong

GG

PostPosted: 11/18/2007 at 8:33 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Opinions, opinions. Thanks for your contribution.

GG

View Member Profile

Mr Bean

PostPosted: 11/18/2007 at 10:23 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

GG - Are you a poodle or a French prostitute?

guitarcharlie

PostPosted: 11/18/2007 at 11:41 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I hesitate to wade in here again, but since everyone else is having so much fun...here goes:

Mr. Bean, sounds like you might be one poodle short of a boudoir. You are ignoring the fact that a 65 strat is basically way OVER valued to begin with...that is why they have dropped so much. Les Pauls that supposedly sell for half a million dollars definately harken back to the dutch tulip craze:

http://www.thetulipomania.com/

and some 20k etc. strats are just a mini-me version of the same phenomenon. Beans on the other hand are UNDER valued. Sorry, but $3000 for a hand made guitar that has kick ass vintage mojo and sounds amazing is still behind the curve. Sure $1000 is an even better deal, but $3-$4k is not outrageous at all. If you want to find overvalued just look to all the new historic and relic guitars out there that sell for $3-$6k. Now there is a good way to throw money away!

View Member Profile

guitarcharlie

PostPosted: 11/19/2007 at 1:13 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

And speaking of cats and dogs...

Vincent Gallo: I'm sorry to keep this subject alive, but I have confirmed that guitar was on ebay about 6 months ago with its original case and original clear (not black) Travis Bean knobs. I found the photos from the previous listing. OK, I understand the free market and that any guitar or pile of random parts is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, but you of all people seem to be someone who understands the value of originality and the soul and history of these guitars. So why strip parts from an original guitar and then get all offended when confronted about that? To me the negativity here is a seller that swaps parts off a vintage guitar and then sells that guitar without being upfront about that crucial information. As an experienced buyer of vintage guitars, I'm sure you understand this. I have no grudge against you outside the realm of Travis Bean...but come on, don't be less than forthcoming as a guitar seller and then cry foul about "negativity" when someone calls you on it. The other photos of that guitar from the previous auction show it to be a very nice guitar, but nothing wildly exceptional in terms of wood grain. However, it does appear to have been an all original unmolested Travis Bean Artist with its original case (and knobs)....oh well....not anymore.

View Member Profile

case book

PostPosted: 11/19/2007 at 2:33 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

It still stands, why do all of you who have been snatching them up started doing so now? If you were of the knowledge and means, why did you wait until a 500.00 guitar only 3-4 years ago, reached 5000.00?

Mr Bean

PostPosted: 11/19/2007 at 6:18 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Guitar Charlie
I do appreciate your catching Gallo in the act, which is what I have suspected All along. However, as for my posts, you have completely missed the point. I did not say that the guitar is not worth 3k. I am simply making the point that the guitars have not appreciated in value at all until these three went on a bean buying frenzy. Once they are done, these guitars will drop in price as there just are not many people out there that care about them.

BoulderBean

PostPosted: 11/19/2007 at 10:15 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Nice research guitarcharlie. You should post the links and/or photos you found. I expect VG will come back with all guns blazing and some proof might make him think twice.

I think we all understand the concepts of supply and demand. We know pretty accurately what the supply is - a few thousand Travis Bean instruments and even fewer in original condition. What we don't know with any certainty is the demand. Mr. Bean believes there isn't much demand aside from the recent spate of wealthy collectors. Most of the rest of the participants disagree and seem to think there is a growing demand that will keep prices up. Only time will tell.

For sure this web site is having an impact - making it much easier to research and learn about Beans.

Here is another intangible - a lot of what makes a guitar "collectible" are the musicians/stars who play it. What is neat about Beans is that they have been popular with famous musicians since the 1970s and they still are today (Arcade Fire).

Prices will no doubt fluctuate over time, but I'll be very surprised if any decent condition Bean sells on E-Bay for less than $2,000 and probably $3,000 in the coming years.

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 11/19/2007 at 11:36 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

View Member Profile

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/19/2007 at 4:49 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

If Mr. Gallo can buy a guitar on ebay, take from it the parts he needs, and flip it for a couple thousand in profit, more power to him. You all act as if he ripped you off. The buyer obviously is new to travis beans, he bought that refinish for $3400 last week. Think of it like this, the whole world got a chance to pay 7K for that guitar, he was the only buyer who was willing to pay that much, everyone else on this planet wasn't. That was a $4000.00 guitar that someone overpayed $3000.00 for. Another thing worth mentioning, many, many, guitars sell on ebay which never get posted here. I have personally bought wedges, tb500s, and tb1000s, on ebay instantly because I was the first to see them. If you saw the tb1000a that sold for 3K last week you would all puke ( the figured koa was as nice as the subject here) and had original case, ebony fretboard, serial number below 200. The best thing about Travis Bean guitars is that Travis Bean would not compromise. The last travis bean was built to the same exacting standards as the very first. In fact, much of the downfall of travis bean guitars from a business stand point was just that. There were 26 employees over the years at travis bean, only one quit, the one who quit was Gary Kramer. Gary Kramer would go on to have the third largest guitar company on the planet. Gary Kramer compromised, just look at the crap that kramer made when the aluminum neck guitars proved to be too expensive an endeavor. Kramer guitars success was due to the more budget concious models not the metal necks ( which sold for $1000 in 1978). Also worth mentioning that the Kramer metal neck guitars are very fine professional grade guitars, if you have not played a 350g or 450g or 650g, you are selling yourself short.

blackmarker

PostPosted: 11/19/2007 at 8:54 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I had a 450G for a few years. That guitar was crap - sloppily routed neck pocket, three tiny inline screws to hold the neck on, poly finish more than 1/8" thick (no joke). They are nothing even close to what Travis was doing.

Although made in the USA, I would put its quality on par with$400-$500 import guitar built today.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/19/2007 at 11:04 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Hey blackmarket, Who gives a shit what a guy who has played ONE kramer thinks. " 1/8 in finish yad,yada, yada," go take a nap, or call your boyfriend and tell him all about it. I have a bunch of metal neck kramers and can say from experience that the guitars fit and finish are fine. You must have gotten a monkeyed one. You missed the point that I was making anyway. Go read a book you travis bean expert you.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/19/2007 at 11:06 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

blackwater, Why would you play a shitty guitar for years. Even a homeless person could scrounge up enough dough to buy a new guitar in a couple of years. What a tool.

holmes

PostPosted: 11/20/2007 at 8:30 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

gallo bought a bean, took the case, and resold CLEARLY stating it did not come with the original case. Someone bought it knowing full well the case was not including. What is the problem? Apart from the fact that he will probably buy a wedge with it despite the fact that he owns 2 (which kind of reminds me of alot of bad aspects of mankind) already and only 40 odd were built, there isnt one.

case book - perhaps not everyone new about beans five years ago when they were cheap? i was lucky enough to muscle in at the very last minute of the whole cheap era and i got 2 really great deals, but had i got in into beans even just a year earlier, i would have saved a fortune. beans, particularly outside of the US are still virtually unheard of.

kramers (even the ali necked ones) are very hit and miss. i had 350 that was pretty damn shoddy in places, and had some of the most useless pick ups ive ever used. in fact i thought it was shit so i sold it. i might be getting rid of my egc soon if anyones interested - its one of the old 500's - he has changed the design now, so you cant get the better looking custom 500 anymore.

View Member Profile

soarshoulder

PostPosted: 11/20/2007 at 4:08 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I would have to say that on the subject of Kramers, in my opinion, the reliability/workmanship guitars can be hit & miss (as is the case with most 25 yr old instruments which have been "played"....although all of the Beans that I have played have somehow been exceptions to this rule)
The afore mentioned neck-joint issue is a very valid one, as more than one Kramer that I have played has had alignment issues due to the under-designed, inline machine-screw mounting system. They are not bad sounding guitars, but tone-wise, they are on a completely different level from the Bean in all categories.
As for the basses, I have not yet played one that did not sound very dull, but I imagine if you found one with the J-P configuration you could probably brighten it up with some QP's or something (has anyone tried this?) That said, I still prefer a Deluxe J-P over my 2000 in 9 out of 10 applications...

All my bitching aside, Kramers are definitely far better built than (most) anything you will find on the shelf at GuiTarget these days, and for only a bit more $$$.

I wonder what it would take for a 2007 Korean Strat to command a $6999 BIN with no case (or stand)?

JohnBR

PostPosted: 11/20/2007 at 4:14 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Hey...MR BEAN...MY name is John Ruklick and I have not bought a Travis in many months, going on a year. Get my name correctly linked to my moniker. And you say there are 3 guys? I assume you mean me, Vincent and someone else? Well, Vincent just SOLD a Bean and as far as I know, last we spoke said he may be thinning the heard. Who is the 3rd guy?
Also, that $7,000 artist sold in TWO DAYS!!!!!!! It did not get a chance to be seen by all. if I had the money, I would have bought it. Nice going Vincent. I appluad your business savy.
So, you are saying that there are 3 guys running up the market. Well, if you have been watching the winning bidders moniker's, they were ALL different people, and none that I recognize. Maybe us 3 all have many different secret accounts so we can buy in disguise. Right.
I think you can't be further off the mark. Like I've said all along, these guitars are Loooooong over-due. Two years ago, Vintage Guitar magazine Price Guide raised their estimate by 85%.
Bottom line is, I see the price trend going UP, not down. There has not been a colored artist listed in a long long time. I bet you my white/crean artist would sell for $10,000.
Either way, stop knocking Vincent Gallo for buying Travis Beans. The guy has personaly driven across the country and searched the world when he could pay some flunky to do it for him. He digs the search and it makes his finds that much more glorious and rewarding. And if he wants to keep a case, so what? He did not misrepresent himself in any way. When I read you guy's knocking him for doing that, it makes you sound jealous and petty. I can't help but respect the guy for going out and doing the collecting himself, like anyone else could.
Finally, you say the prices are heading back down to $1,000 or so? Well, I will be waiting and I will buy every last $1,000 Bean I can find. You make yourself sound very jealous and bitter. I hope you find what you are looking for.

View Member Profile

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/20/2007 at 4:38 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Hey Dank, I think I may be the third. But these guys are out to lunch if they think that any music dealers won't jump at a good deal on a bean.

JohnBR

PostPosted: 11/20/2007 at 4:50 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Damn right.....why don't you ask GG what Scott Silver of Chicago Music Exchange asked him about a year after selling him a white standard....HE WANTED TO BUY IT BACK! (Sorry GG if that was confidential, but I think it is very telling)
Also, one more thought I had....Instead of bashing Vincent for taking cases and knobs off of guitars (glass 1/2 empty), why don't you applaud him for making one more Travis stock again (glass 1/2 full).
I am aware that Guitar Charlie may have a legitimate gripe, I'm with you on that my brother, but that aside, maybe these guys that buy a Travis who don't know what stock is might start messing with it. You know, it used to be that way. Old school players would route a 50s strat or Paul to make it how they wanted it. Now everyone is so pansy-ass about collecting, like it's a god damn antique and everything has to be 100% original. Well, that'swhat Vince Gallo is doing, making one more Travis Bean 100% original. Good.

View Member Profile

guitarcharlie

PostPosted: 11/20/2007 at 5:22 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Hmmm...it seems this has twisted and turned alot since it started, but what the hell, it beats a boring thread!

Against my better judgement I will again try to clarify my segment of this all encompassing topic, that seems to have about 3 simultaneous subjects going.

As far as the Gallo deal is concerned my main point was that he could have been more straight up with his description and follow up. Yes, I understand the case was not included and I also understand he had every right to keep it. Fine. And maybe the knob thing is trivial to most of you, but it was obviously not trivial to Gallo since he opted to switch them and then deny that he did. I was mainly bugged by the lack of candor on his part and the indignation at me for pointing that out. Sure it is non of my business, but these threads are all about opinions and expressing them. My opinion is that these guitars are not only great instruments but each one has a story. A part of that story gets lost in every transaction that a part is lost or taken. Many of these guitars will still be around when we are all gone. Technically we may own them, but really we are just taking care of them for awhile. I'm sure alot of you think I'm a real dork to think that, but hey its one way to look at all that cool stuff that you can't take with you anyway. I love these guitars and I think they deserve great respect and I know they will get more respect from many more people as time passes.

And finally....I hope Mr. Bean is right because I too will buy every $1000 Bean that comes along...uh oh sounds like a bidding war!

View Member Profile

JohnBR

PostPosted: 11/20/2007 at 5:53 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

yea, but as Mr. Bean (or whatever your name is) stated, they will all be selling in the $1,000 range, so there will be plenty to go around. Can't wait!

as for the knobs and cases, c'mon...as long as photographs are plain to see and the description is accurate, there is no fraud. If I wanted clear knobs for a black bean and there was a koa that had them that I did not want, I would do the same. Anyone who denies it is either a lier or foolish.

View Member Profile

Kevin

PostPosted: 11/20/2007 at 7:14 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I have been playing these for going on 10 years, Ive never once cared about original cases nor knobs, even though most did have them. Im guessing that since these are more of a collector guitar now then thats really important, fair enough. Its just I dont look at these as a collector guitar, but more as a very reliable work horse and now sadly they are costing more than I would ever pay for an instrument(even 3000.00 is stretching it). Its a bit of a bummer, but we all had a good long run of these being 500.00 guitars, i just hope one day they fall back into a more realistic price, but i dont think will ever happen.

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 3:31 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

View Member Profile

guitarcharlie

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 8:19 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

oh yeah you got me there...as my teenage daughter would say: "whatever"

View Member Profile

JohnBR

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 9:07 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

In fairness to all parties, and as for full disclosure, here is the INCREDIBLE artist TBGURU bought about 2 weeks ago for $3,000...or was it $3,200, I'm not sure. Still, one hell of a guitar.
contact me TBGURU to discuss buying/selling/trading and general Bean gossip:
John at
ruklick55@yahoo.com

http://www.flickr.com/pho...../62767557@N00/2052233155/

View Member Profile

Mr Bean

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 11:25 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Here is the problem with what Gallo did - You have a preserved instrument, with knobs (stripped or not) and case. You then rob that guitar for your own purposes. What it offends is the principle of an all original instrument. With so few out there, why produce another incomplete guitar? Anyone who cares about authenticity and integrity may want to ponder this before buying or selling to anyone that would do that. The fact that he apparently now owns a significant amount of the beans out there should concern us all as collectors and lovers of this guitar. If he does it once, it will not be the only time and that fact alone should serve to deflate prices on all Travis Bean as there is now a distinct possibility that he at one time owned it. Follow??

eric

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 11:52 AM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

i agree to an extent. i think there is some contradicting logic in wanting an "all original bean" that is actually comprised of parts from different beans, or some original case that actually wasn't the original case for that guitar. i believe that anyone is free to do whatever they choose with their guitars and money but i find it odd that someone who is so intent on having all original beans including cases, have pieced those beans together from other beans thus stripping the other beans from being 100% original. is that irony?

oh well, like i have said before i don't care enough about an original case to pay market value. i'd rather spend my money on other things.

i have also been told that my knobs weren't original based off pictures but the original buyer who bought it new said those were the knobs that came on the guitar and actually sent me a 2nd set of the exact knobs that the store provided at the time. i don't know if i will ever really know what happened, whether the store swapped out knobs or something else, but i don't really care. i bought a guitar that has an incredible story, plays and sounds beautiful and is about one of the coolest looking guitars i have ever held. i love the cold aluminum in my hands, i love the dings and finish wear from years of use, i love everything about it. the fact that it might not be 100% original by lack of a case or knobs doesn't make a difference to me whatsoever. i am curious about it, but those things aren't going to diminish its value to me.

Happy Thanksgiving Bean Enthusiasts!

View Member Profile

JohnBR

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 1:29 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

You make some valid points Mr. Bean.

View Member Profile

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 2:04 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

I will say it again. The buyer of this guitar, ( $6900 ) bought a refinish 1000s for $3400 last week. I am busy WET SANDING all of my painted beans, if it means I might find pretty figured koa under that pearl white paint! I mean give me a ******* break! Some random ebayer makes two mistakes in one week. 1. Pays a lot for refinished bean 2. Pays a lot for figured koa.
Travis Bean is alive and well, if you ask him he will tell you that all travis bean guitars were made to the same exacting standards. Therefore the standard plays exactly the same as the artist. He picked the koa wood because that was the first he found that met the size criteria, not because it sounded a certain way. No tap test for this tone-wood!
The guitar was worth what the buyer was willing to pay.

blackmarker

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 7:49 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Travis Bean could have easily found half a dozen different tonewoods that produce planks large enough to make his guitar's two-piece bodies.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 7:53 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

BLACKMARKET :Yes know it all, but that is how the story goes. I happen to know a few things you do not.

blackmarker

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 7:57 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

As a reason, that doesn't make any sense though.

Lots of stories are bullshit. This sounds like one of them.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 8:01 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

BLACKMAKER: There were also one piece beans made, production, not prototype. And my point was that the way the koa was settled upon was happenstance. Of course there were many woods he could have chosen. But koa was chosen for the reason I stated. I would not call koa "tone-wood", obviously you are a very literal person.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 8:03 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Yes except that this is from the source. The creator of all which is worshiped at this site. Travis Bean.

blackmarker

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 8:11 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

If koa were chosen for the reason you stated, it was not "happenstance". This would make it a calculated decision (not what "happenstance" means).

Of course there are one-piece Beans, but most are two.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 8:11 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

"As a reason" come on man, what does that even mean? You never add to this site BLACKMARTYR, you are always challenging and negative. Go get laid, work hard, make some money, then maybe you won't be such a little knowsitall prick.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 8:15 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Hmmmmm, happenstance, walked into a store that happened to be close by in the valley where the guitars were made. Did not search. Used local sources to supply a local valley business.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 8:16 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Happenstance is an amalgamation of 'happening' and 'circumstance'. It generally refers to a random event.

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 8:19 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

BLACKWATER, Once again, you just challenge and take away. Try adding once in a while.

blackmarker

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 8:31 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

Perhaps you should take a walk outside for a breath fresh air to calm your nerves.

You will not get a fight out of me, if that is what you are looking for.

BoulderBean

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 9:48 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

"Koa wood had been used for ukuleles, but it was hardly in fashion for guitars. I went to a local art wood store, and chose koa because it was the only wood that would look decent if I made the body in one piece. That was all of the science that went into that decision (laughs), but it turned out to be a wonderful wood for us."

-Travis Bean quoted in Vintage Guitar Magazine, 1999
Full text of this interview is available on this site.

Does anyone know when were alternative wood bodies like magnolia were first offered? Do those guitars sound different from the koa?

I just put some new tubes in my amp and the Bean was making 'em glow. Happy Thanksgiving Beaners.

-Peter

P.S. TBGuru - next time try the decaf.

View Member Profile

TBGURU

PostPosted: 11/21/2007 at 11:19 PM    Post subject: RE:TB 1000A on ebay $6999.00 BIN link

" if you ask him he will tell you that all travis bean guitars were made to the same exacting standards. Therefore the standard plays exactly the same as the artist. He picked the koa because that was the first he found that met the size criteria, not because it sounded a certain way. No tap test for this tone-wood! " (Tone wood being sarcastic)

The guitar was worth what the buyer was willing to pay.

Save Up to $75 Instantly at MusiciansFriend.com
Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Return to forum index