© 2001 - 2024

Rattlesnake Cable Company - High Quality Instrument Cables - Made in Montana
Forum :: General Discussion

Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Travis Beans in Germany 2001: A story

Return to forum index
 Author  Message
ReneVanLien

PostPosted: 06/26/2008 at 5:31 AM    Post subject: Travis Beans in Germany 2001: A story link

In 2001 I was in Koln Germany for a showcase at the Popkomm. Me and a friend went looking for guitar shops as I was looking for a Travis Bean guitar at that time.
We found one shop eventually, but it had mainly acoustic instruments and no electrics. When we went in however, we were amazed by the amount of Travis Beans inside. They had a bout 12 !!! TB guitars in stock. They had a TB500 for sure, if I remember well, even 2 TB500 guitars. The owner showed me all guitars and told me he bought them all together in one buy. The contained prototypes (with not even the T shape in the headstock, but all other characteristic features), a double neck and the one with "for my dawn" engraved in the back. They were ranging in price from minimal 5000 Mark to maximum 11.000 mark. That is about 2200E to 4700E.
I remember that I thought it was super expensive at the time (for sure because I was very young at that time and was still in school).
Does anybody know anything about these guitars I mention? Has anybody else visited that same shop in Koln? I am also curious if any of these guitars are now in Europe still or moved across the world.

It is a great memory to have anyway, what a crazy shop that was.

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

ReneVanLien

PostPosted: 06/26/2008 at 6:04 AM    Post subject: RE:Travis Beans in Germany 2001: A story link

Ok,

I just found some pictires on flickr form that exact shop!!1
I recognize it!!!
look at all the wooden guitars aroudn the tb wedge double neck:

http://www.flickr.com/gro.....s/travisbean/pool/page12/
http://www.flickr.com/gro.....s/travisbean/pool/page13/

page 12 and 13 contain the most pictures from taht shop (you can see that theya re in the same store by looking at teh floor tiles).

I did not remember it was a wedge double neck....
What a cheap buy it was at that time, amazing

Rene!

View Member Profile

Chris Hall

PostPosted: 06/26/2008 at 3:35 PM    Post subject: RE:Travis Beans in Germany 2001: A story link

We all know of this shop.

They tried selling all of those guitars on eBay for waaaay more money than they were worth.

We're the ones that uploaded the pictures to flickr.

The store purchased them from a collector who sold off most of his 50 Travis Bean collection.

Cool that you got to see them in person, though.

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 06/26/2008 at 11:57 PM    Post subject: RE:Travis Beans in Germany 2001: A story link

-Post removed by request of the author-

View Member Profile

ReneVanLien

PostPosted: 06/27/2008 at 1:10 AM    Post subject: RE:Travis Beans in Germany 2001: A story link

Hey Chris,

I did not know everybody knew of this shop. For me it was just walking in and seeing for the first time a TB guitar and then some.

So this guy bought them from a collector and first tried to sell them for a relative reasonable price in the shop and later way to expensive on ebay?

Do you have any idea who bought them and if anybody bought them at all?

And who was the collector with 50 TB guitars?

Thanks for the info!

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 06/27/2008 at 9:41 AM    Post subject: RE:Travis Beans in Germany 2001: A story link

-Post removed by request of the author-

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

ReneVanLien

PostPosted: 07/02/2008 at 2:54 PM    Post subject: RE:Travis Beans in Germany 2001: A story link

The owner of the shop was also not so friendly in the beginning to us when we are the store, I was not allowd even to touch the guitar (without pciking it up). Still he showed us the guitars in the end. Germans are very weird sometimes. I work in Germany now for a temporary period, before I go back to my home in Rotteram holland. They can be so stiff and serious sometimes and can be so rude if you touch what is "theirs" If you make a scratch on a car here while parking by accident (wich can happen) and you do not notice and rive away.... you an get into courtbecause "you ran away after an accident"
Better to deal with Italy, I love Italy, every car has there a scratch, it is alomost mandatory ;)

Thanks for the info again.
I wonder if he is still stuck with his tons of aluminium...

View Member Profile

pbeekman

PostPosted: 07/03/2008 at 8:00 PM    Post subject: RE:Travis Beans in Germany 2001: A story link

I had a go at purchasing a couple of 500s they had at the time - but gave up due to difficulties dealing with the owner / attitude issues! They were expensive, too - and soon found other more friendly, straight-up sellers in Germany at the time. Those seem like the golden years of TB hunting now!

View Member Profile

ReneVanLien

PostPosted: 07/04/2008 at 12:59 AM    Post subject: RE:Travis Beans in Germany 2001: A story link

The golden years are over, yes.... but sometimes you are lucky .
However, I feel that more bean owners finally found one and will hold on to it for a long time.
I myself dont need morte than one of each model though. I love variety better. But when I do find one for good money, I will of course buy it. I am not hunting anymore ;)
Just traded my TB500 163 that was butchered by previus owner (they cyt off the T headstock and the bridge element and electrionics were gone) for a EGC standard with Kevin.
He fixed teh neck already and it looks amazing, like new.
I just love to have this EGC guitar, they are great and in many ways even cooler than the TB500. (I still own tb500 nr 162). But of course teh TB500 has a great historic value.

View Member Profile

Save Up to $75 Instantly at MusiciansFriend.com
Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Return to forum index