© 2001 - 2024

Rattlesnake Cable Company - High Quality Instrument Cables - Made in Montana
Forum :: General Discussion

Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Garcia Playing his artist in 1975

Return to forum index
 Author  Message
JohnBR

PostPosted: 07/13/2007 at 12:14 PM    Post subject: Garcia Playing his artist in 1975 link

In 1975, the Dead took the year off. In every other year of their exsistance, they played OVER 80 shows. In '75, they played 4 or 5 shows. These photos recently surfaced of a show they played in Golden Gate Park that year. There is Jerry playing his white artist. These photos had been uncirculated until recently when someone posted a link at our Yahoo chatroom "gearheads".
http://zep-jerry.cool.ne.jp/bangasa/bangasa.html

I'm not sure if these photos are there to stay, so maybe the administrater should upload a couple to the site. Jerry's tone that year was phenominal. To me, though, his tone peaked in the early 80s when he was using the guitar dubbed "tiger". He used the preamp from a Twin Reverb and a McIntosh MC 2300 (600 watts) power amp. Combined with a Travis Bean, you have some serious high fidelity.

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

BoulderBean

PostPosted: 07/13/2007 at 12:37 PM    Post subject: RE:Garcia Playing his artist in 1975 link

Excellent. Thanks Dank.

For those following the whole Garcia artist auction brew-ha-ha, these photos are from Golden Gate Park - 9-28-1975. They show Garcia playing his white 1000A with stock pickups. This is NOT the guitar sold for $312,000 earlier this year. Does anybody see a sticker between the knobs in these photos? There is something in the first shot, but it might just be a photo glitch.

View Member Profile

holmes

PostPosted: 07/13/2007 at 12:49 PM    Post subject: RE:Garcia Playing his artist in 1975 link

i just dont like this band. the berry covers the do are s**t quite frankly. I dont mind that roads song.

View Member Profile

guitarcharlie

PostPosted: 07/13/2007 at 2:29 PM    Post subject: RE:Garcia Playing his artist in 1975 link

Holmes, the cool thing about Jerry and his band is not the Chuck Berry covers. Those were usually thrown in as fillers and quick encores. The Dead are an acquired taste and they are not for everyone, but to those who hear it there is something about that Garcia noodling. Travis Bean or not.

View Member Profile

JohnBR

PostPosted: 07/13/2007 at 5:03 PM    Post subject: RE:Garcia Playing his artist in 1975 link

Garcia was notorious for putting stickers on his guitars. I will post a link when I have more time, but, his BEAUTIFUL guitar known as 'wolf' got the wolf inlay because he had a sticker of a the wolf from the Warner Brother's cartoons of the 1940s stuck behind the bridge. The guitar went back to master luthier Doug Irwin (ex-Alembic employee) for some repairs from a drop off a 15 foot stage in Europe and when Jerry got the guitar back, the sticker had magically turned into an inlay. Must have been the 'shrooms. But, that is the guitar that sold for $700,000 several years ago. The more expensive one, "tiger" went for $900,000 in contrast. Making the $330,000 Travis Bean seem like a bargain.
Wolf was rumored to have been purchased by Sammy Hagar and has since made it's way back into the 'Family'. Tiger is owned by the son of the owner of the Indianappolis Colts football team, who also owns one of George Harrison's SGs."
As for those who don't 'get' the Dead or don't like Jerry's tone, I will just say, I understand. There is a chat-group for magnatone amps and one guy mentione using a solid state power amp with a tube preamp...I mentioned that that was what Garcia used and oh boy, EVERYONE had to chime in and let their oppinions of Jerry's "cold as an ice pick tone". Garcia himself used to use the licorice analogy: "not everyone likes licorice, but those who do, REALLY like licorice". I personally like the whiskey analogy: It's an aquired taste, but once you "aquire" the taste, LOOK OUT! I have been listening to people tell me how much the Dead suck for over 30 years now. I have learned to just smile and say, "yea, you're right". Myself, I hit almost 300 shows and can liken the experience to being in a cult. And I would not argue that without drugs, maybe there would be no GD. But, put on the song Ripple, Unbroken Chain or the whole album American Beauty, and tell me that those songs are not classic Americana.
Either way, If I knew the way, I would take you home!

View Member Profile

PostPosted: 08/01/2007 at 1:17 AM    Post subject: RE:Garcia Playing his artist in 1975 link

-Post removed by request of the author-

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

Save Up to $75 Instantly at MusiciansFriend.com
Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Return to forum index