© 2001 - 2024

Rattlesnake Cable Company - High Quality Instrument Cables - Made in Montana
Forum :: Mods / Repairs

Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Feedback on refretting/radiusing TB2000 #576 with

Return to forum index
 Author  Message
Pablo

PostPosted: 04/04/2016 at 3:31 PM    Post subject: Feedback on refretting/radiusing TB2000 #576 with link

Well, I must say that having top notch technology PLUS a great luthier can produce amazing results...

My great TB2000 #576 had been transformed by some troll ages ago, before I bought it... that animal did a great job on the body (sort of nice heavy Flying V body) , but it probably got drunk before he defretted that amazing bass, which resulted in a fretless TB2000, that had marks of torture all over the fingerboard...

So I was wondering for a couple of years how to repair that damaged fretboard, and one day I came across Alexandre, who lives not far from my place and happens to be one of the guitar luthiers in Europe. Alexandre not only has great skills and experience with vintage guitars, he also masters the use of the two PLEKs that are installed in his shop. I am myself not bad in lutherie, but I had never used that kind of machines.

To make a long story short : wiith craftmanship + technology, I now have the best neck I can dream of, and I am the proud owner of are very precisely RADIUSED TB2000.

Yes guys, a TB2000 is way more fun to play with a properly radiused fingerboard - she now also has crystal shining frets that are placed, sized, cut and polished with a crazy precision through the PLEK.

I must say that I own two TB2000s : my #729 is 100% vintage, with an unaltered fretboard, and my #576 now has a JB-type special compound radius.
And I hate to admit it,, but Leo Fender came way closer to the proper bass neck radius than Travis Bean - Shame, in my opinion, that Travis did not implement compound radius fretboards on his great sounding basses...

And here's a last fact on the TB2000 : my experience with the PLEK shows that the neck of a TB2000 does significantly bend (well.. significantly enough for a PLEK, anyway). As hard to believe as it may sound the PLEK demonstrates that the alu neck does provide good flexibility, and it is even quite sensitive to different string gauges. Measuring the neck just with different sets of strings on the PLEK was quite a surprise. 'Had to choose the proper gauge before final cuts... =8-0 ...

Cheers,
Pablo SANDERS

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

quimbymeat

PostPosted: 04/16/2016 at 7:55 AM    Post subject: RE:Feedback on refretting/radiusing TB2000 #576 wi link

My 891 is flat and I got a new fingerboard added to my 517 by EGC. I traded that bass the other week for serial 994 and that one has a radius. I've read that they did start doing then towards the end of production.

View Member Profile

quimbymeat

PostPosted: 04/16/2016 at 7:58 AM    Post subject: RE:Feedback on refretting/radiusing TB2000 #576 wi link

If you ever want to sell your 729 bass then let me know...

View Member Profile

Pablo

PostPosted: 04/16/2016 at 2:58 PM    Post subject: RE:Feedback on refretting/radiusing TB2000 #576 wi link

I am considering selling my TB2000 #729 , as I am now playing my modified #576

As said, #729 is a 100% unaltered player's bass with a magnificent vintage looking 'cracked' varnish (showing those beautiful internal internal crack lines in the varnish - photos on demand) - Body shows some signs of wear; and a couple of small dings - like a player's bass should :) Frets are perfectly used, they have reached the stage of maturity were the neck is as easy to play as can be.

If interested, please send me an e-mail : pabsan@free.fr

View Member Profile

Save Up to $75 Instantly at MusiciansFriend.com
Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Return to forum index