Rattlesnake Cable Company - High Quality Instrument Cables - Made in Montana
Forum :: General Discussion

Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

bass 500

Return to forum index
 Author  Message
wiggle

PostPosted: 02/18/2002 at 5:03 PM    Post subject: bass 500 link

bad comrade, you know your beans! yes, that's a 500 bass body. if they made the necks like the 500 guitars (untapered,) the 2000 necks will not fit. worse yet would be trying to find a pickguard for it. without a pickguard there would be nowhere to mount the electronics. note that the smooth side is the back of the guitar - a completely different construction. i know the 500 models were designed to be the 'budget line' guitars, but skimping on a pickup seems absurd to me. are there any other single pickup basses out there?

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

BadComrade

PostPosted: 02/19/2002 at 10:54 AM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

Having a pickguard made would be pretty easy... having a neck made would not be. You'd have to find someone to make a neck to fit the body, since the TB2000 neck isn't compatible with that bass body. I'd rather pay for someone to make me an aluminum body for a tb2000 neck...

wiggle

PostPosted: 02/19/2002 at 2:11 PM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

upon closer inspection, i see that you are right, the 2000 necks would be too wide for the 500 body. so why do you know so much about beans, comrade?

svtbass

PostPosted: 02/20/2002 at 11:48 AM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

Hey wiggy You've got #0, I'm jealous. I just picked up a fretless that was part of Kaman's collection. What do you know about the 500 guitar currently on ebay? Doesn't look quite right.

wiggle

PostPosted: 02/20/2002 at 1:00 PM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

hi svt! thanks for the ezboard messages. i truly despise their system and services, so i'll write back here. man, that thing is barely a 500 anymore! i thought it was a Kramer or Vaccarro that was erroneously listed. a new pickguard, different bridge mechanism, knobs replaced, probably a refin, and worst of all, THE PICKUPS HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH HUMBUCKERS!!! What's the use of a 500 without its single coils? Even if you tapped the humbuckers, you still wouldn't end up with a true single coil sound (it ends up a wanker humbucker/single coil mutation sound - you can hear it on a previous post of mine). i've compared P-90s with TB single coils too, and find the TB ones much warmer, and possibly a tad hotter. (although they were compared on different aluminum neck guitars...)

wiggle

PostPosted: 02/20/2002 at 1:45 PM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

upon closer inspection, seems the imron on the neck has been 'easy oven'ed off. (or using some other toxic substance.) it's just the bare sandblasted aluminum. someone's either going to have to buff it or anodise it to keep it from rusting. and look at those frankenstein bolts in the back! i guess it needs bigger bolts to hold onto the neck, now that the pickups are attached to the pickguard. whoever did it was quite a rapist!

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

admin

PostPosted: 02/20/2002 at 2:38 PM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

I stumbled on a fretless bass on Mars Music. I like the look of the body, I'm guessing Poplar.. or Magnolia.. but I'm leaning to the Poplar body. Would any of you agree/disagree?

http://www.marsmusic.com/.....navAction=jump&navCount=1

adios
admin

View Member Profile

wiggle

PostPosted: 02/20/2002 at 4:48 PM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

dunno about the wood, but someone on the other site has already bought that piece.

svtbass

PostPosted: 02/20/2002 at 8:57 PM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

Yeah, me. Gave them $1100 for it too. It's Koa, their picture is just light. Bill Kaman had it previously. It is almost like new, no fretboard wear at all. Cry, cry me a river. PS- check out the Dual neck Bean 6/6 (only one made) they have listed now. For $3500 (ouch, ouch, stop that)

wiggle

PostPosted: 02/21/2002 at 11:14 AM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

didn't know you could talk marsmusic down that much. how'd you swing it? i've always been intimidated by fretless basses, though i'm curious to try them out. one of my all time favorite bass players is Mick Karn from Japan (the band,) who is also a fretless bean player. one of my favorite guitarists is steve albini, who is a tb player as well. interesting that they are from opposite extremes in musical style and yet choose similar weapons.

wiggle

PostPosted: 02/21/2002 at 1:27 PM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

upon even closer inspection, i see that it is a refin. check out the paint spill on the neck where it meets the body (left side.)

svtbass

PostPosted: 02/21/2002 at 3:44 PM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

I had to make an offer and a counter offer to Mars for the bass. I really felt they were too high on the asking price. Course I saw a Wedge bass on that German site where they want $3900. I play the fretless on tunes where it fits, but the fretted is on way more tunes. Try it- the smoothness can make the sound much more interesting in the right situation.

wiggle

PostPosted: 02/23/2002 at 10:55 PM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

that fretless is a blind one, isn't it (i.e. no lines where the frets are supposed to go)? i'd really like to pickup fretless bass. any playing tips? i hear playing a fretless is much more difficult than a fretted.

svtbass

PostPosted: 02/24/2002 at 1:06 AM    Post subject: RE:bass 500 link

yeah, no lines, just the small side markers. No way to see them good on stage either. Us sloppy-fingered bassists stay in the lower registers until we get better. Or get in better light. I had a Carvin a few years back- liked the neck and hated the electronics. For not a lot of cash I believe the way to go is a Precision fretless. Or pick up a fretted Fender on the cheap and buy a warmoth neck for it. Their website Thrift Shop is great for necks- wooden necks, the next best thing.

Save Up to $75 Instantly at MusiciansFriend.com
Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Return to forum index