© 2001 - 2024

Rattlesnake Cable Company - High Quality Instrument Cables - Made in Montana
Forum :: General Discussion

Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Standard body thickness, wiring & 500’s questions:

Return to forum index
 Author  Message
Joefish

PostPosted: 06/20/2009 at 7:03 PM    Post subject: Standard body thickness, wiring & 500's questions: link

Standard body thickness: The body thickness of a standard (from photographs) reminds me/appears similar to 60's Telecaster.

Wiring: My 69 Tele recently had some maintenance. The last wiring was done in the mid 80's by one of the best in LA. He used thin yellow silver wire. Can someone please compare the Bean white and yellow wire to what the pros use today.

500's: Can someone that had a Standard or Artist first and then got a 500 compare and contrast the tone ¦ or just indicate what you're currently preferring. (this single coil kind of guy with a wedge thanks you)

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

wiggle

PostPosted: 06/21/2009 at 3:50 AM    Post subject: RE:Standard body thickness, wiring & 500's questio link

I've posted this before but here it is again.

Visualizations and raw recordings of several TBs.

http://www.unsound.com/GTR/TBW/TBcontest.jpg
http://www.unsound.com/GTR/TBW/TBcontest.mp3

1 - Wedge Guitar @ Single (This one had a coil splitter)
2 - Wedge Guitar @ Humbucking
3 - Standard (Thin body)
4 - 500 (Prototype - thick body)

The guitars were plugged directly into a computer to
record their sounds raw.

Sorry it's such a boring sound. This one's for science, not art.

View Member Profile

Kevin

PostPosted: 06/21/2009 at 4:51 PM    Post subject: RE:Standard body thickness, wiring & 500's questio link

First run Beans were 1.75 inches thick

Wiring: Bean used a teflon coax cable, really nice and expensive stuff. Its still available, but due to its normally high cost Id asume thats why no one uses it in guitars. Its wonderful to work with.

500s: A 500s pickups are exactly half of the standard humbucker. The reason a 500 sounds as it does, is its bridge pickup placement as well as the offset pole pieces. This is what gives that bright, almost shrill sound. Its a great sound, but mostly unusable to most wooden guitars players Ive shown them to. I personally love it, but Ive seen many many poeple turned off by the extreme brightness. The middle and neck positions are great.

The graph you provided is very interesting. Ive always wondered what a 500 single in a Koa bodied, normal construction guitar would sound like vs the normal front loading thin neck reciever and plastic pickguard covered body cavity of a normal 500. It seems and makes sense, that the more substantial neck and body mass is improving the sound. Score one for science.

"this single coil kind of guy with a wedge thanks you" -that sounds very uncomfortable, you should pull that out.

View Member Profile

seawolfofsaturn

PostPosted: 06/21/2009 at 7:49 PM    Post subject: RE:Standard body thickness, wiring & 500's questio link

Joefish has a wedge ? You're not alone, I get them from my co-workers all the time.

Worth mentioning is that the Standard slims down to 1.25 in or 35 mm right around #1500. This follows a transitional model Standard that numbers around only 175 guitars where the new body style retains the original 1.75 in (45 mm) thickness of the Standards up to 1319 in the database.

These transitional heavyweight Standards appear at or around #1324 and end somewhere before #1500.

View Member Profile

holmes

PostPosted: 06/22/2009 at 10:48 AM    Post subject: RE:Standard body thickness, wiring & 500's questio link

I have standard 1770. thinner than 964 standard which i also own. lighter as well - 964 weighs a f'kin ton. 1770 also has a nicer tappred neck - much thinner than any other 1000 i have played. 989 artist also has a thick chunky neck.

i have tb500 310. i havent stopped playing it recently. they have noticeably thinner necks. they also have a tone completly unique to themselves. i have an egc c500 that eveyone seems to think sound very simarlar but the sound is nothing like it really. i can see how tb500's can be too bright for some people - but they obviously have never heard of the TONE CONTROL KNOB. particularly the bridge pick up can be very stingy. middle and neck position sounds unbelievably good. beware that its an extremely unique tone, which i guess is both its calling card and its death knell - you will have a very difficult time getting an lp tone out of this thing. i would have thought telecaster fans would be in 7th heaven if they got to play one. obviously though, a diehard lp fan would probably be undigging as it were. a tb500 with fresh strings sounds so foreign that i cant really compare to any other sound. however, i love the sound of a tb1000 as well. they sound huge.

View Member Profile

Joefish

PostPosted: 06/23/2009 at 10:22 PM    Post subject: RE:Standard body thickness, wiring & 500's questio link

¦ thanks Wiggle, very cool - I'm going with the Wedge Guitar @ Single (This one had a coil splitter)

It's amazing what some mass will do (I guess that metal bridge adds to the sound of a Tele)

Kevin ¦ Thanks ¦. "First run Beans were 1.75 inches thick" ¦ Joe's 69 Tele 1.75 inches thick ¦. Pretty cool!

I fell hard for TB 500 #21

I've had the Wedge since the 80's but only started playing it all the time in December ¦ I use a SFTR that I finally learned how to use it ¦( by overing " the master volume to the channel volume" ¦ thanks TS) ¦I even dig playing my Tele clean now ¦. With that said, I can get a good solo tone with the wedge, but am not really comfortable with the rhythm sound ¦however, I got it (in the 80's) specifically as a Les Paul upgrade for humbucker overdubs

I used it all night at my last practice and the guys liked my sound on a Neil Young tune ¦

(BTW, it is perfectly balanced ¦ and the fret board almost seems concave compared to a maple neck Tele ¦ it's just a killer guitar!

Thanks Seawolfofsaturn ¦.that's very interesting

Mr. holmes ¦ you posted ¦ " i havent stopped playing it recently" to clarify, have you stopped playing it? Also, is there a specific amp you prefer for the 500 and a specific amp for the standard? Thanks in advance!

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

holmes

PostPosted: 06/24/2009 at 1:41 PM    Post subject: RE:Standard body thickness, wiring & 500's questio link

...ummm, that i havent stopped. i use the cheapest yamaha solid state practice amp you can imagine. i also use an old traynor for clean tones that make it sound like a bell. sounds great through an old dr103 too but that thing is the kind of amp to end your rent lease so i cant play it in my current residence.

View Member Profile

Save Up to $75 Instantly at MusiciansFriend.com
Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Return to forum index