Rattlesnake Cable Company - High Quality Instrument Cables - Made in Montana
Forum :: General Discussion

Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Stripping my 500

Return to forum index
 Author  Message
BlownVetteZ06

PostPosted: 01/17/2009 at 8:52 AM    Post subject: Stripping my 500 link

Well, I finally got the paint stripper and stripped the seafoam green paint from my TB 500 body. I guess tomorrow I'll be sanding all day. I am preparing it for sale/auction. I hope I can find all the pieces. A shame the nut is missing, I would have liked to have strung it up and played it one last time before letting it go. I hadn't planned on stripping the paint before selling but I have read many posts that talk about some kind of splitting? that occurs where the neck meets the body. I wanted to check/document whether mine does that or not. Don't know yet as I still have a little paint left to strip. I hope to be able to photograph at least all the parts tomorrow.

- Craig

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

BlownVetteZ06

PostPosted: 01/17/2009 at 11:05 AM    Post subject: RE:Stripping my 500 link

Well the body is stripped and sanded. I took a few pictures of it but after reading the forum rules on posting, didn't see anything regarding pictures, so I am putting a link to them here:

http://www.craigshouse.co.....es/travisbean/beantop.jpg
http://www.craigshouse.co.....travisbean/beanbottom.jpg

I am debating whether or not to sand out all the rest of the green paint that is in the body cavity and also whether or not to put teak oil on the body. Any opinions?

View Member Profile

Joefish

PostPosted: 01/17/2009 at 12:31 PM    Post subject: RE:Stripping my 500 link

Hi Craig, First, the only advice I have is, whatever you do, don't take my advice ¦ with that said, would you be kind enough to take a few shots of the neck and pickups and please post them ¦
¦ what number is it? ¦ is it on the database? ¦ the history ¦. do you have the pickups ¦ please tell us the story ¦

Since, I am not a collector or a luthier ¦ I'd respectfully stop now ¦ there are tons of people that would love the guitar to play and not worry about it as an investment.

As a courtesy, I sure hope some of the knowledgeable folks reply ¦

Good luck!

Joe

View Member Profile

charlie

PostPosted: 01/17/2009 at 12:41 PM    Post subject: RE:Stripping my 500 link

IMHO:

STOP messing with it and most importantly no more sanding! Over sanding has ruined many restorable vintage guitars. If you put teak oil on it, you have just created more work for the next person who might want to refinish it properly. This only applies if you are planning on selling. If you are going to keep it...do whatever the hell you want.

View Member Profile

charlie

PostPosted: 01/17/2009 at 12:44 PM    Post subject: RE:Stripping my 500 link

I should add that teak oil is an oil finish that soaks into the wood more than the traditional nitro laquer that was used on these guitars, thus making proper restoration that much more difficult.

View Member Profile

BlownVetteZ06

PostPosted: 01/17/2009 at 2:40 PM    Post subject: RE:Stripping my 500 link

Good point. I will leave the body sanded bare. The next owner can do whatever they like, they can use the body for firewood for all I care. I will dig up all the parts and the neck and take some photographs. I think the original black pickguard is probably still in Thailand, but I made one out of aluminum that matched the outline. I remember having at least one of the pickups...

-Craig

View Member Profile

Disclosure: Any links to eBay or Amazon.com are affiliate links. Affiliate links may provide commission payments to the site based on purchases.

Joefish

PostPosted: 01/19/2009 at 7:43 AM    Post subject: RE:Stripping my 500 link

Hi Craig, What pick up do you have ¦ I'm wishing for the bridge so that my friend has a chance to get the Beansquire he's always dreamed of. Also, what # is the guitar?

Anyone: Without hearing it/just looking at a pickup (both HBs and 500s) can you tell if it's a bridge or neck pup ¦ (length of wire?)

Thanks

Joe

View Member Profile

Save Up to $75 Instantly at MusiciansFriend.com
Due to abuse - forum is closed and in archive mode only

Return to forum index